Placement of national qualifications in the education or training requires that the qualification be of complete components. The NQF has identified six general requirements to be fulfilled for national qualifications so they may be placed at each level of the Framework, as follows:
- Official Approval: qualifications should be accredited by relevant educational or training body.
- Stakeholder Engagement: stakeholders and field experts should be involved in the design and review of qualifications.
- Qualification Objectives: qualifications should have specific objectives, to illustrate and rationalize its design and proposition.
- Qualification Title: appropriate designations should be used to clearly denote specializations.
- Qualification Components: include qualification levels, learning outcomes, and credit hours.
- Learning Outcomes Assessment: transparent and measurable evaluation criteria used to ensure that learning outcomes have been achieved.